SECONDARY LITERACY: Strategies for Teaching Vocabulary & Academic Language
Class Description & Purpose:
Explore processes and strategies for vocabulary instruction to increase comprehension and utilization of language within a content area.
- Increased vocabulary impacts student comprehension and learning in all content
- Vocabulary as a vehicle for higher level learning
- Building block of literacy and comprehension
- Explore processes, strategies, and resources to use for high impact vocabulary instruction.
- Create engaging, hands-on/minds-on opportunities for students to interact with vocabulary and academic language to expand language usage.
Refine a unit or create an implementation plan for language acquisition instruction by integrating hands-on, engaging strategies for students based on vocabulary and academic language.
Introductory - Getting started in an area, examples of possible entry points for implementation, foundational components of a practice/strategy, or big picture thinking around a practice/strategy.
Audience: 6-12 Teachers
Point of contact for class: firstname.lastname@example.org